Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Bottling Tomatoes

This year our garden produced a lot of tomatoes....all at once. I called my friend Jen, who knows everything about anything related to cooking, and ask her how to bottle them. She wisely suggested that I bring them over to her house Saturday morning and we could bottle them together. While she got things ready I scrubbed the tomatoes.
Then we got the bottles washed. Jen wanted to check her recipe so she ask me to get her Betty Crocker Cookbook down. I just had to laugh!

Have you seen a more "used" cookbook"? Is this how they are supposed to look?


When I got home from Jen's I found my own Betty Crocker Cookbook.


Just like NEW!


Even has vintage 1970's pictures.


And notice the very same page in my book. Mine looks like new! I had to laugh but really it is kinda sad. I think it is so cool to have such a well worn, very used, beloved cookbook like Jen has. My mom had one too. I love the messy cookbook better because it tells a story.



It is a good thing I have a great friend like Jennifer. Isn't she cute bottling away.

Saturday was my lucky day. A fun morning with Jen and a dozen bottles of tomatoes in my pantry. I am going to make this a tradition.

4 comments:

  1. Love it mom! Now it's even more clear why I'm such a lousy cook. ;) You and Jen look so cute with all of your tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So this is where Erin got her 'love' of cooking!!!!!

    That is too dang funny.

    We bottled tomatoes last summer. I'm still using them and they are so good. I really wish our plants would produce enough. I think it just doesn't get hot enough and we have had no sun until this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and Jen complement each other so well. You guys are so lucky to have each other (and all those bottled tomatoes!)

    PS- Where is that fishing post about Rich you started eons ago???

    ReplyDelete
  4. We make a good team! That was a fun day Bon. And yeah, if I end up thrashing my 70's cook book too much, I know right where to get a clean/unused copy!

    ReplyDelete